10 Types of Insurance for Landlords and Property Rental Property Insurance: Tips 5 months ago   07:03

Andrew Finney Team
In today's episode you'll learn about 10 types of of insurance for landlords and property investors!

Perhaps in all the hustle and bustle that often comes with real estate investing, one of the most vital aspects of thriving rental property investing business is overlooked... Getting adequate insurance for rental property!

**I go live every Wednesday at 11am PST to answer real estate questions. Join us next time!**

If you're wondering, "do landlords need insurance," and what does a landlord policy cover, then your in the right place!

1. 0:44 - PRO TIP: ALWAYS Chat With a Local Insurance Agent About Your Situation and Needs!
2. 1:02- Hazard and Fire Insurance for the Physical Property!
3. 1:13 - Liability Insurance!
4. 1:33 - Sewer Backup Insurance!
5. 1:57 - Flood Insurance for the Physical Property!
6. 2:47 - Terrorism Insurance!
7. 3:12 - Builder's Risk Insurance!
8. 3:55 - Loss of Income Insurance!
9. 4:41 - General Contractor Insurance!
10. 4:57 - Workers Compensation Insurance!
11. 5:20 - Umbrella Policy!
12. 6:13 - Your Turn!

Getting started in real estate investing just got easier!

As we move forward together please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or ideas for other videos you would like to see.

Share your savvy answers for what insurance do landlords and property investors need with us in the comments section below. Thank you. Let's continue to learn and grow together as community and team!

If you want help finding one of the best real estate agents in the nation, a CRS please let me know. I'm here to help!

Want to know more about investing in Las Vegas real estate or more about Las Vegas real estate, please let me know. I'm here to help!

Thank you for watching! =)

Enjoy an amazing day!
-Your Real Estate Geek, Andrew Finney

Contact info:
Andrew Finney
USMC Combat Veteran/ Trusted Real Estate Advisor
License #S.0173260 - Las Vegas Realtor

Call/ Text: 702-710-0287
Email: Andrew@AndrewFinneyTeam.com

King Realty Group
6955 N. Durango Dr. Suite 1004
Las Vegas, NV 89149

Certified Residential Specialist (CRS)
Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR)
Sellers Representative Specialist (SRS)

Military Relocation Professional (MRP)

Disclaimers/ Credits:

Awesome Music Courtesy of:
Song: Syn Cole - Feel Good [NCS Release]
Music provided by NoCopyRightSounds.
Video Link: https://ai-tube.com/videoai/d1HYW92nyqR
Download this track for FREE: http://bit.ly/SynColeFeelGoodDL

At the time of production, Andrew Finney, S.0173260, is a real estate salesperson at King Realty Group in Las Vegas, NV.

Andrew's videos are his own and do not necessarily represent the views and/ or opinions of KRG.

The purpose of Andrew's videos are to educate you and help you make sense of the real estate process. If you have questions about home loans, real estate, and insurance where you live, you are advised to reach out to a local loan officer, a trusted real estate advisor, and/ or an insurance agent in your area for further counsel about your own unique situation.

Roofstock and Andrew Finney have an affiliate partnership. When you take advantage of using their excellent resources in finding your next rental property around the USA, I will earn a commission. This doesn't cost you a penny, so please use the link. Please know I greatly appreciate you using this link and the commissions earned will assist me in making even better videos moving forward. Thank you!

Video Inspiration:

Comments 2 Comments

Lee Dot
Marine here,
I’m making my steps with real estate investing. Always watch your videos.

Getting close to getting the first property.

Do you recommend any certain insurance company?

Semper Fi
Add Reply

Rental Property Insurance: Tips 10 Types of Insurance for Landlords and Property 5 months ago   10:27

Whether you’ve got a tiny rental next door to your home or a portfolio of 200 properties, understanding insurance and how it does and doesn’t protect your assets is key.

Here’s an overview:

As a property owner, there are three primary things your insurance policy should protect:

The most obvious coverage is for the structure itself. If something bad happens to your investment property it’s value is diminished. That could be a total loss like a fire or tornado leveling the structure. It could also be a partial loss like a burst pipe causing water damage to your wood floors.

This is listed as DWELLING coverage on your insurance policy.

There is very limited PERSONAL PROPERTY coverage on a Dwelling owner’s policy. This is because you don’t usually have belongings in the house. The personal property of your renter is NOT covered under your insurance policy. This is one reason for renters to have their own RENTER’S INSURANCE POLICY.

The is coverage for bad things that happen to other people because of you or your property. Common examples are a person falling down the stairs, tripping on your sidewalk, or being injured by faulty construction.

The renters in your property are the most likely to experience these things. That’s why most rental contracts have “Hold Harmless” clauses. This is something you should talk to a lawyer about when creating your rental contract.

The second group of people to potentially experience injuries on your property are the friends and family of your renters. This is the most important reason to REQUIRE TENANTS TO HAVE A RENTER’S POLICY. Liability on a renter’s policy would be first to respond and make you less likely to experience a liability claim.

The last of the three major coverages protects the income that you receive from a property. If there is damage that requires a renter to move out for a period of time, you likely won’t receive rent payments. Business Income coverage replaces that lost income.

The DWELLING COVERAGE is the maximum limit an insurance company would pay out for damage to your property. Many investors think this has something to do will how much your property is worth. That is incorrect. The Dwelling coverage is figured based on REPLACEMENT COST. Replacement Cost is the estimated amount it would actually cost to rebuild the structure. The figure includes contractors, wood, drywall, roofing, etc.

Sometimes Market Value and Replacement Cost are close. Other times they are significantly different. For example, let’s say you buy a 2000 square foot house for $100,000. The insurance company will likely want to insure it for around $250,000 ($125/square foot). You may feel like the insurance company is insuring it for way too much but the reality is you bought the house for much less than it would cost to rebuild. Market Value & Replacement Cost are not the same thing.

You might say, “I don’t care. I bought the house for $100,000, let’s insure it for $100,000.” You wouldn’t be the first person to think that. Maybe you don’t even care if $100,000 is all you’d get in a claim. But actually, you wouldn’t even get that.
Insurance companies have a rule to combat underinsuring a house and it’s called the COINSURANCE CLAUSE.

In a claim, EVEN A SMALL ONE, the company will assess whether you’re dwelling coverage properly insures the house. If it doesn’t, a formula is used that diminishes the claim payout in direct relation to how much you underinsured.

In the above example, if the house totally burned down you’d get about $40,000.

Insurance coverage is based on the bad thing that happened (occurrence). Different policies list different events that are (or aren’t covered). Here’s the 3 primary options:
o BASIC (DP1) – Covers 11 “Named Perils” including lighting, fire, smoke, wind, hail, and more.

o BROAD (DP2) – Covers 16 “Named Perils” including everything from Basic plus burst pipes, weight of ice and snow, and more

o SPECIAL (DP3) – The best kind. Shifts from what is covered to what ISN’T covered. If a bad thing that happens isn’t specifically excluded it’s covered.

That’s it! What are your questions? Please ask them in the comments section below!!

Learn more about us at:
Our Site - www.shineinsurance.com
Our Blog - www.shineinsure.com/blog
Our Podcast - www.scratchentrepreneur.com
Our Course - www.newhomebuyersguide.net